I am Cherokee and I believe this is an amazing photo, what I see is a beautiful young woman who respects the Native American tribes. Our tribes are proud, strong and brave with authentic values that live beneath our imperfections. Some of our tribal members are artisans and make these to sell to the “white man,” so why then condemn when we promote the sale… personally my opinion is we are all created equal, we are one nation under God and that includes this whole world so I honor you Christina Fallin for standing up and standing proud when others choose to throw stones… John 8:7
7) So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
- cherokee people DO NOT EVEN WEAR WAR BONNETS, its not part of our culture at all.
- women don’t wear war bonnets even within the culture they actually are from.
- you seriously don’t look cherokee, and you quoted the bible to defend cultural appropriation (both of which are tools of colonialism), so you’re probably not actually cherokee.
- don’t use my peoples name to speak over natives and defend crap that we, as a community, oppose.
More white people being dumb. The irony in the use of bible verses is pretty funny though.
I hate when white people use “I’m Cherokee” as a way to force their opinion in a conversation they don’t belong in. No. Just no.
I’m Cherokee and I’m offended as fuck that you would use my cultural heritage to defend cultural appropriation. Go away.
If you’re not upset about Katniss, Tonto, or Kahn being played by white people, but you are upset about Annie being played by a black girl, you’re probably racist.
And by probably I mean definitely.
Let’s talk about not only actively and knowingly participating in cultural appropriation, but labeling it with a spin on words (“Appropriate Culturation”) to make sure that privileged white middle finger really stands out. Mockery is not cute. Oklahoma’s governor has a real gem of a daughter there.
Congratulations, Christina Fallin/Pink Pony.
Also, deleting comments doesn’t make opinions go away.
The daughter of Oklahoma’s governor, Mary Fallin, is looking like a real dumbass right now. Knowingly appropriating culture and then telling Native Americans they are being judgmental and presumptive to defend themselves and their culture. Here is the letter they posted and I was all kinds of angry.
The very audacity that this band has to try and tell people to not be offended at the blatant thievery. The audacity it takes to tell people they are being judgmental for defending the cultures from which they come from. The audacity it takes to call an act of cultural appropriation an act of love. The fuckery!
Help out and join the voices of people calling them out on their Facebook page.